It’s getting colder here in Holland but we can always go for summer rolls don’t you think? Especially when these summer rolls are made with mostly raw ingredients and a good homemade peanut sauce to dip your rolls in so this time I was inspired by the Vietnamese kitchen.
First of all what I want to mention. When you’re wrapping the filling, It’s not easy in the beginning! These rice paper rolls are very fragile since they are very thin so be careful when you wrap the filling. Actually, the wrapping is the hardest part and I ruined some rice paper rolls in the process. :-(… The good part is, ones you have that feeling it goes quite easy or you can be a natural born wrapper that handles the situation pretty good already in the beginning ;-)!
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls. I used these from Kumar’s
- green onions
- purple cabbage
- glass noodles
- crispy tofu. Check my video to see ‘how to make crispy and tasteful tofu’
Ingredients peanut sauce:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste. I get it at a local tropical store
- 1 tsp rasped kencur (Dutch: kentjoer)
- Throw ingredients in a baking pan. Stir the mix when it’s cooking till it’s a paste and leave it on a plate at low fire. Stir it so now and then. When the paste gets cold it gets thick
- Cut all the filling ingredients
- When you’re done cutting the filling ingredients, fill a shallow bowl with warm water and dip the rice paper rolls in the water for a couple of seconds. Don’t soak them too long! They will get too sticky and you don’t want that! Fill the rice paper rolls one by one with the filling ingredients and dip them in your peanut butter sauce
How to wrap a rice paper roll
Here my struggle started. I’m telling you. I ruined a lot of rice paper rolls unfortunately but eventually, they came out pretty good don’t you think? I’ll recommend you to watch a video on YouTube there are many but here is one I watched: ‘how to assemble a Vietnamese spring roll’.
What do I think of this dish?
I think the best dish so far for dinner… it was so delicious so these rice paper rolls will be at home more often! I forgot to use mint actually but I didn’t really miss it. I loved the extra bite of the green onion and the mango inside. If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’m a mango girl ;-).