Hi there, we’re going from quick vegan pho to quick vegan saoto soup. Saoto is traditionally a Surinamese pulled chicken soup with a boiled or baked egg that I veganized in a way that you can make it even after a 9 till 5 working day. Saoto soup is without hesitation my favorite soup so I eat it many times and with this quick way you can eat it many times too if you want to ;-).
Recipe for 4 people
- 175 g mixed vegetables for soup. I used these vegetables, ready to use
- 1 tbsp allspices (also known as piment)
- 1 whole pressed garlic
- 3 leaves lemongrass
- 3 slices galangal (also known as laos)
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried lovage root (Dutch: gedroogde lavas wortel)
- 3 tbsp vegetable stock powder. I used Marigold vegan bouillon powder, like in my previous recipe post
- 250 g tofu
- 250 g bean sprout
- 100 g broccoli
- baked onion. You can get a big bag at Action
- potato sticks. The traditional ones you get at a Surinamese shop but the ones in the supermarket will do as well
- fresh or dry celery
- Soy sauce
- 1 habanero or Madame Jeanette pepper, sliced in 2, without the seeds
- Boil the vegetables with the allspices, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, ginger, cumin, dried lovage root, vegetable stock powder and pepper of your choice (habanero or Madame Jeanette).
- Cut the tofu into blocks like in the picture and bake it in vegetable oil and some salt or vegetable stock till they are yellow-brown. When I bake I mostly use coconut oil. Cut the broccoli into pieces.
- Throw the broccoli and the baked tofu in the soup for 5 minutes
- Pour soup into bowls, with the bean sprout, baked onion, celery and potato sticks
- Use soy sauce for extra taste
Vegan chicken in stead of tofu
These days you have vegan pieces of chicken. If you would like to have the whole chicken experience you can use the vegan chicken of De Vegetarische Slager or the one of Vivera. The Jumbo supermarket also has their brand of vegan chicken. Pull the pieces of chicken and bake them with some oil and some of the same herbs you used in the soup. Pour the soup into bowls and add a bit of vegan chicken to it.
If you make the soup for one person you can put it in the refrigerator and it tastes even better the next day. You can also put it in the freezer to prep your food and have a nice soup at work during your break if they have a microwave!
I like to make my own homemade sauce made of soy sauce and spices. Wait for that recipe!
Bon apetit lovely ones!