In Dutch we call this dish: bruine bonen met rijst but also BB met R and in English: brown beans with rice. Brown beans with rice is a typical Surinamese dish that I love so much. My mother had to make this for me all the time. In this recipe, it’s about the sauce that’s made with brown beans so if you’re a bean lover just like me then go try it out. It’s also very simple to make.
I was lucky because my mother never used meat in Surinamese dishes even though she’s not vegan or a vegetarian my mother is not that much of a meat-eater. From the moment I quit eating meat, 22 years ago my mother always made her dishes with meat, fish or other sea animals separated from the rest so I could always eat my mother’s dishes. By the way. This rice is whole-grain rice since white rice is stripped of its vitamins and minerals.
Approximately 2 persons
Ingredients bean sauce:
- 350 gr. brown beans. I used a jar with the liquid included of the brand Smaakt. Without the liquid, the weight is 220 gr.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 normal size tomato cut in pieces
- 1 large block vegetable stock. I used this vegetable stock of the brand Zonnatura
- 4 twigs celery. Cut in pieces
- 6 balls all spices (Dutch: piment balletjes)
- 1 shredded onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 laurel leaf, some people call it salam (Dutch: laurierblad)
- Fry the onion and garlic in a pan. Add the tomato and let it cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add the brown beans with the liquid including the vegetable stock, all spices, celery, sugar and laurel. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and you’re done
You can just eat it with rice only
You don’t need to use the rest of the ingredients I used. Just cook some rice cause many times we eat it with only rice just to have a quick meal.
The ingredients I used with the brown beans mix are plantain, pickles, crispy tofu and green beans. Normally we use cucumber soaked in a vinegar mix instead of pickles and long beans instead of green beans.
Bon apetit and like many soul food dishes, this one is better the next day!
If you try this dish, let me know by giving me a comment below. I would really appreciate it.