Stuffed bell pepper is something we ate often with meatloaf. Stuffed bell pepper is common in the Surinamese kitchen and very easy to make.
How did I make the vegan version? Here is the recipe!
- 500 gr. Tofu
- 2 Onions
- 6 Garlic cloves (you can use less, but I love garlic)
- 1 Tomato
- Black pepper
- Black salt (kala namak)
- 2 Cubes organic vegetable stock
- 2 Big bay leaves or 3 little ones
- 2 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce asin (salt)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce manis (sweet)
- 4 Bell peppers in different colors
Vegan grated cheese, cilantro or parsley as a topping
- Preheat the oven on 200C/392F
- Mash the tofu till you have tofu scramble. The best tofu scramble you can get with firmed or extra firmed tofu. Put the scrambled tofu in a frying pan with some black salt (kala namak) and bake till it’s golden brown
- Chop the onion and garlic. Cut the tomato in little pieces. Add the onion, garlic to the pan with tofu scramble.
- Add the vegetable stock after 2 minutes with the black pepper and pieces tomato and let it fry for 1 minute together
- Add the soy sauce and bay leaves and let it bake on low heat for 5 minutes. It’s better to taste the mixture when you’ve added 1 tbsp of the salt soy sauce and 1 tbsp of the sweet soy sauce. If it tastes good enough you don’t have to add more soy sauce
- Clean the bell peppers in the meanwhile, remove the seeds and cut the top of the peppers. Put the bell peppers in an oven dish. Stuff the tofu scramble mixture in the bell peppers, when the mixture is ready. Remove the bay leaves before you stuff the bell peppers
- Bake the stuffed bell peppers for 20 to 25 minutes
- Serve bell peppers with rice and sprinkle some of the ingredients I mentioned in the optional bar